<<Hot Spots Directory

Gainesville EDC
Contact: Arleene Loyd
311 S. Weaver
Gainesville, TX 76240
Phone: 940-665-5241
www.gainesvilleedc.com


Gainesville EDC Logo

 

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Bookmark and Share

gainesville courthouseAbout

In Gainesville you can find anything from antiques to zebras. This historic city will provide you with residential charm, expanding manufacturers and endless agriculture.

This community boasts a Historical Downtown and residential area which aides in identifying Gainesville as “The Star of North Texas.” Here, the education at our public schools and North Central Texas College are proud traditions. Visitors and residents alike can take advantage of beautiful parks, like Leonard Park which includes baseball fields, a 15,000 square foot playground and the Frank Buck Zoo, the best little zoo in Texas.

Our diversified economy features manufacturers of energy related equipment, airline seating, plastic pipe, blades for wind turbines, equine and agriculture industries to name a few.


Community History

Cooke County lies between Cross Timbers and gently rolling prairies of North Texas. Fort Fitzhugh which was named after Colonel William Fitzhugh was built southeast of what is now Gainesville to protect the new Gainesville Statuesettlers from the Indians. The first social event in this newly settled area was held on July 4, 1847 at Fort Fitzhugh. It was celebrating the seventy-first anniversary of America’s independence. Not long after this dance the first school in Cooke County was established in Mountain Springs and Miss Jane Shannon was the teacher. The settlers of this new land were pioneers who braved the elements and Indians and were staunch believers in education and their dreams for a better way of life. Cooke County lies between Cross Timbers and gently rolling prairies of North Texas. Fort Fitzhugh which was named after Colonel William Fitzhugh was built southeast of what is now Gainesville to protect the new settlers from the Indians. The first social event in this newly settled area was held on July 4, 1847 at Fort Fitzhugh. It was celebrating the seventy-first anniversary of America’s independence. Not long after this dance the first school in Cooke County was established in Mountain Springs and Miss Jane Shannon was the teacher.

Cooke County was created in 1848 by the Texas Legislature and was named for William G. Cooke. Cooke was a volunteer who fought for Texas’ independence. The location for the town of Gainesville was decided by a jug of whiskey when Robert Wheelock, with jug in hand, cried “All who want the town site over the hill follow me!” The rest is history
.
Cooke County seemed to have it all from lush forests and pasture lands to the best water sources around. You can look through our colorful history and see we have had several areas which defined our county, its income, and growth. Simply said, it’s a diverse and creative county which thrives because of the people who believe it truly is the best place to live.


Gainesville Industrial ParkGateway Industrial Park

In 2013 the GEDC acquired 150 acres of land immediately adjacent to the northwest section of the Gainesville city limits and was voluntarily annexed by the Gainesville City Council. Bounded by the mainline of the BNSF railroad on the eastern border and FM 1202 on the northern border, Gateway Industrial Park will serve as a greatly needed tool for our community’s economic development efforts. Working with many professionals, including EIKON Engineering, the GEDC was able to complete the engineering and design work on infrastructure to the new industrial park. Once completed, Gateway Industrial Park will serve as the next industrial growth area for our community creating high paying jobs and additional tax base for our local entities.

 
 
 
 
         
Joplin Region Web Banner
@ copyright Site Location Partnership 2010 All rights reserved.